A – D

annealed_receiverAlso Lead Pot Annealed. A process used to soften the rear of the receiver to prevent cracking when struck by the bolt during recoil. After the development of the grenade launcher, a new steel alloy less prone to cracking was used to make receivers. Older receivers were dipped in molten lead to reduce brittleness. This process darkened the appearance of the dipped section, resulting in “two-tone” receivers.
arrowheadA style of receiver logo used on the earliest International Harvester rifles, in which the arrangement of the text lines resembles an arrowhead. Collectors believe these were supplied by Springfield Armory and are among the very first rifles produced by IHC.
baseProperly “bracket”; the dovetail base fastened to the receiver of the M1C Sniper rifle. The telescope and mount slide onto the bracket. See M1C.
birchThe wood used to make replacement stocks and handguards in the late 1950′s. Original specifications called for walnut, but difficulty in obtaining it resulted in a switch to birch in some rebuild programs and for replacement guards.
bright_chamberIn original assembly at Springfield Armory, the chamber area of the barrel was not Parkerized and appears bright. During rebuild, a newly refurbished barrel/receiver assembly was refinished and the chamber area Parkerized in the process. A bright chamber is a clue to originality.
british_proofsA set of stampings required by British law on any firearm exported from England. The 1941 – 1942 Lend Lease rifles imported in the 1960’s carried these marks in the barrel date area, and later imports on the top of the barrel between the rings of the gas cylinder. Collectors generally dislike non-standard markings.
cartoucheThe collector term for the mark stamped into the left side of the stock upon original acceptance of the rifle by the government. The earliest stamps bore the initials of the manufacturer over the initials of the inspector under whose authority it was accepted. In late 1940 the Springfield Armory format was changed to use the initials of the armory Commandant. At Winchester the new type used GHD, the initials of the Chief of Ordnance. In 1953 the old cartouche was changed to the boxed Eagle and Stars called the Defense Acceptance Stamp. Springfield, Harrington & Richardson, and International Harvester all used the DAS from that time onward.
cmpCivilian Marksmanship Program headquartered in Anniston, Alabama, formed in 1996 to succeed the DCM. All M1 rifles in Army inventory were transferred to them for sale to qualified buyers. CMP supports the National Matches at Camp Perry. See thecmp.org/.